Pedestrian Critically Injured in Hit-and-Run Crash in South Bend
Posted On behalf of Pfeifer Morgan & Stesiak on Nov 01, 2016 in Personal Injury
Early Monday morning, a pedestrian was critically injured in a hit-and-run accident on Portage Road in South Bend.
According to police, the victim was wearing a reflective vest and walking on Portage Road around 7 a.m. when he was hit by a northbound car. After hitting the pedestrian, the driver pulled into a gas station parking lot and then fled the scene.
The 84-year-old victim was taken to Memorial Hospital to treat head and abdominal injuries and is still listed in critical condition.
Police have asked the public for help locating the car that hit the pedestrian. They say that the car is tan or cream-colored and probably has a damaged windshield, hood and right front headlight.
The crash caused Portage Road to be shut down between Cleveland and Bendix while police investigated the accident.
Our experienced South Bend car accident lawyers help victims of pedestrian accidents try to recover compensation if their accident was caused by negligence. Schedule a free consultation today.
Tips on Pedestrian Safety
Unfortunately, deadly pedestrian crashes have been increasing across the nation. Monday morning's crash in South Bend shows that pedestrians may not be safe even if they wear reflective clothing.
That is why pedestrians should use a variety of strategies to avoid accidents. AAA has several safety tips for pedestrians, including:
- Walk in well-lit areas whenever possible, particularly when you are crossing the street.
- Make eye contact with drivers in stopped vehicles to make sure they see you before you walk out in front of them. Do not assume they see you.
- Do not look at your smartphone while walking, as it could distract you.
- Do not wear headphones because you will not be able to hear what is going on around you.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Use crosswalks to cross the street whenever they are available.
- Use sidewalks whenever they are available. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the far side of the road facing traffic.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, contact the personal injury lawyers in South Bend at Pfeifer, Morgan & Stesiak for a free, no obligation consultation. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and a variety of other damages.
Chat Live with a legal representative or call us at (844) 678-1800