Two People Injured in Accident in Cass County
Posted On behalf of Pfeifer Morgan & Stesiak on Feb 08, 2016 in Car Accidents
A car accident in Cass County occurred on Thursday at 5:15 p.m. leaving two people seriously injured. The crash occurred at the intersection of Brownsville Street and Lewis Lake Road, southeast of Vandalia.
A 22-year-old woman from Elkhart was heading south on Lewis Lake Road, when she ran a stop sign at Brownsville Street and crashed into a vehicle driven by a 74-year-old-man from Homewood, Ill. Both were taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Cass County Sheriff's Deputies stated that the woman was driving too fast and unable to stop due icy road conditions.
Indiana Car Accident Facts
- 205,532 traffic accidents resulting in injury or property damage occurred in 2014.
- There were a total of 702 fatal car accidents in 2014, resulting in 743 fatalities.
- Over 13 percent of fatal collisions in 2014 involved a drunk driver.
- Over half of all vehicle passengers killed in 2014 were not wearing a seatbelt.
- About 26 percent of fatal car accidents involved speeding.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 94 percent of all auto accidents are caused by human error. This means almost all accidents are completely preventable.
Some common causes of car crashes include:
- Speeding – This is a growing concern as more fatal accidents have involved speeding. Stay within the posted speed limit, and if road conditions are poor, slow down accordingly.
- Distraction – This can include anything that takes your hands off the wheel, eyes of the road, or your mind on something other than driving. Examples include: playing with the radio, applying makeup, talking on your phone, eating, or conversing with passengers.
- Texting – Texting while driving is becoming more and more common, and has expanded to includepeople checking their social media accounts on their smartphones. The few seconds it takes to look down and read a message is all it takes for an accident to happen.
- Intoxication – Still a major cause of fatal car accidents, in spite of severe legal penalties, millions of people still make the poor choice of drinking and driving. If you choose to drink, plan ahead and hire a cab, designate a non-drinking driver or find other means of transportation.
- Fatigue – Drowsy driving is a major concern, especially with over-the-road truck drivers. Anyone driving long distances should make sure to get a good night's sleep beforehand. If you feel tired, pull over and rest.
Even if you are the safest driver on the road, you can't control the behavior of other people. If you or a loved one has been hurt in car crash due to another driver's negligence, call the South Bend car accident lawyers at Pfeifer, Morgan & Stesiak today. Our injury lawyers will work to get you the compensation you deserve.